I am living for a year on a horse ranch. Whilst this is not entirely new territory, as I did work for 18 months on a horseback riding kids camp - though I was the life guard for the pool, not many horses, the amount of time and commitment I am giving to the horses is an all time high.
Currently I have to feed the horses in the evening, and I try and get out to help feed them in the mornings. I am also planning to seriously upskill my horse-riding abilities. I currently feel confident in saddling the horse, getting on the horse, and walking the horse. When it starts to trot I don't think I will fall off; but I'm not sure how much faster I would feel safe with.
My goal is to gallop at least once this year, and feel good whilst loping. I currently own all the cowboy gear, with belt buckle, cowboy short, boots, and hat. Now I just need to learn how to earn it.
Today was my first horse-ride of the year (and really, my first of the last 5 years) and I did okay. I stayed on, even when my horse freaked out twice. My sister-in-law, Paula, was bucked off her horse (and fell safely in the snow). I am very glad it wasn't me bucked off (though I would have gotten a story out of it). I am more reticent to do crazy stuff without easy access to public health care.
So, I look forward to updating the blog with my equine progress later in the year. And hopefully, reading this back and smiling at my ineptness.
Danny
Comments
Post a Comment