'Twas the kids first day at school today and as we dropped them off there was a strong sense of excitement and nervous anticipation in the car. But we bade them farewell and left to run errands in town. Upon returning, not only did we meet their super-cool bus driver (Amy), who decorates the bus according to season (she's basically a real life Ms Frizzle from the Magic School Bus), but also got to see the kids come out smiling and excited to share about their first day.
It is always a rare joy to get the kids from school; being a teacher sees me only able to do it about 5 times a year. I am also very aware that they may not want to share all their stories to their parents once they hit high school. But today was a good day, and we got to hear about push-up competitions and dodgeball in gym class, Canadian kids with large interests in Aussie animals, and optional wood-shop lessons. I am excited for the kids to start taking the bus from tomorrow and hope that it is a fantastic cultural experience that they look back on in years to come.
I am kinda jealous of my kids, getting an international experience whilst still in school; I always wanted to go on exchange, and they get to do this (I'm aware I'm writing this whilst literally doing a year abroad in a sort of work exchange).
Ahh, things are going well today. (I just hope our Aussie money hits our Canadian account soon, as we are fast running short on cash).
Comments
Post a Comment