I thought that the hardest thing to acclimatise to in reaching Canada was going to be the almost 60 degree temperature swing (today was -20). But that has really been very easy, you just remember to wear your thermals, toque, jacket, and gloves and the cold is very bearable.
The two things that have been hard have been the lack of friends that you can drop in to and most importantly, the sunlight.
I know academically that the sunlight changes in Australia over the seasons, that the sun is not directly overhead at noon in the dead of winter. I also understand that the days are shorter in winter than summer. However, I'd forgotten how low the sun sits on the horizon here in Alberta during the winter days. It does not rise until 8:30 and is dark by 5 (and it was a much longer period of dark a month ago). I am struggling to wake up in the morning and it feels like dinner time at 3pm. I look forward to having more sunlight, I feel being South Australian that I, like most houses in Adelaide, am somewhat solar powered.

Comments
Post a Comment